The current round ends in...
What is The Genealogy Blog Party?
If you’ve been blogging for a while, you probably remember the old “blog carnivals.” There were quite a few of them back in the day, and several just for genealogists: The Carnival of Eastern European Genealogy, The Carnival of Irish Heritage and Culture, I Smile For the Camera, and the granddaddy of ’em all, The Carnival of Genealogy.
A blog carnival was sort of like a party for bloggers. The “host” would announce a theme and deadline for post submissions, and then the bloggers who chose to participate would write a post pertaining to that theme. When the deadline was reached, the host would publish a post on his/her blog listing all of the submitted carnival entries.
The Genealogy Blog Party is basically the same concept. The only real difference in the process is that the host (me) does not write up a separate blog post with links to the participating bloggers. Blogs are linked using a third-party linkup tool from Inlinkz (don’t worry, it’s super easy).
How You Can Participate
The Genealogy Blog Party is open to all bloggers. Your blog does not need to be devoted to genealogy. However, the post you submit does need to be appropriate for the monthly theme, which will be genealogy or family history related.
Here’s how to join the party:
- The monthly theme is announced by the host (that’s me), typically on or around the 1st of each month.
- You — the individual bloggers — either write a new post to go along with the theme or select an appropriate post that you have previously written.
- Publish the post on your blog. Each post must have at least one image.
- Add your post to the linkup collection by clicking the blue “Add your link” button, found in the monthly theme post.
Blog Party Etiquette (a.k.a. “The Rules”)
Party guests (participants) are encouraged to do the following:
- Bring a Friend – Tell your friends and followers about the Genealogy Blog Party by using Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, or whatever type(s) of social media you use. Social media sharing buttons are located at the bottom of this post.
- Visit and comment on at least 3 other links in the party (more is better). Parties are meant to be social events, and we can’t be social without talking to each other!
- Follow me on social media. Links are in the pretty, pink footer, below.
- Subscribe to the Newsletter, if you haven’t already. Newsletter subscribers receive advance notice of Genealogy Blog Party themes and other information.
➡ Please visit the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page if you have a question that was not answered here.